Friday, December 19, 2014

Final Semester Reflection

This semester has been a very challenging semester for me in a lot of ways. It really brought out several of my weaknesses and challenged me to overcome them. In addition to the tremendous required workload for the courses I was taking, I had ROTC obligations, time consuming to say the least. I had to reevaluate how I managed my time and prioritize things that are important. These considerations will be useful to me in the future, helping me to maintain a better work-life balance, which is extremely important for ag educators, as it's very easy to be consumed by this profession. It also helped to remind me that it's important to think about what my end goals are and how the activities I am doing will help me achieve those goals.

On the other hand, it was a good reminder that I am extremely passionate about this profession. I realized this while I was planning and preparing my experience in Belize for my student teaching. I found that I became increasingly excited about incorporating my teaching experience at Penns Manor with Mopan Technical in Belize. As I began planning my community based unit of instruction everything seemed to fall in place. I have the opportunity to teach international ag to my students at Penns Manor and then connect those students with my students at Mopan Technical. Opportunities like this one get me really excited about what I am doing. I thoroughly enjoy challenges that I put forth for myself, and this sure is a big one.

After this semester I can conclude, of course, that I have a long way to go in becoming the professional agricultural educator that I desire to be. Yet, I feel as if I have learned a tremendous amount that will enable me to be the most effective student teacher candidate at Penns Manor, and Mopan Technical in Belize.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

If you're curious to learn more about my project, please feel free to email me!

No comments:

Post a Comment