Friday, December 19, 2014

Life Knowledge Lesson at Penns Manor

During my life knowledge experience at Penns manor, I taught a lesson on career opportunities. This is the first time that I went to Penns Manor and taught students that I will be teaching in the spring semester. I got to teach an introduction to  agricultural careers and leadership course that was all freshmen students in the ninth grade. This experience was very beneficial for my development as a student teacher and it was challenging for various reasons.


First, freshman are typically a rambunctious group of individuals which incorporates unique challenges in classroom management. I was not fully prepared for the high-level energy and short attention span freshman students exhibit, and therefore classroom management was a critical component of the speaking experience for classroom


Secondly, it was the day before Thanksgiving break started and so the students were not thinking as much about my lessons as they were about hunting, and Thanksgiving dinner. As a result it was very challenging to keep the students engaged throughout the lesson. 


Thirdly, I found it challenging to stay engaged myself because I had just completed a 3 hour drive in order to get to the school. Through this experience I gained a snapshot of what it be like to teach an all freshman class the day before a break.



I now know that in order to be successful I have to focus on providing a high level of energy and enthusiasm in my lessons to provide interest in my lesson. I will be sure to incorporate a lot of high energy activities in my class in the spring.


Me attempting to engage some distractable freshman.


Me with Mr. Hughes, my cooperative teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment