Friday, December 19, 2014

Micro Teaching Reflection

As a requirement for my AEE 412 courses, I went to Tyrone High School and taught one class in the morning for three days.  It really was a great experience!! After lots of communication with the High School teacher, Mrs. Hoy, we decided on Etiquette being the topic I would teach for three days.

At first, I had high levels of apprehension for this particular topic.  But as I began laying out the overview of the three days of lessons, I realized, I actually really enjoy etiquette.  I had a great time putting lesson plans together on table setting, table etiquette, and professional dinner conversations.

My favorite part of the three day lesson was the modified fish bowl game I had my students play.  If you aren't sure what it is, fishbowl is basically a charades game.  Yup! I played charades in class.  It turned out to be challenging for the students to grasp what was expected of them, yet, they ended up thoroughly enjoying the experience!!

My least favorite part of the experience was the last 10 minutes of the very last day when I ran out of time to finish up the topics I was really hoping to cover.  The last topic was table conversation topics.  For this I employed a Go Get It!! E-moment where students had to run around the room and find all of the topics then place it into a category in the chart on the chalk board.  We finished it, but it was rushed.

One thing I learned about this experience was that students can be funny in how they respond to what you are teaching.  For instance, I had one student who acted as if she was entirely disengaged from the content.  I had another student who appeared to be entirely engaged.  However, the truth was a complete reversal.  The student who appeared to be disengaged, was engaged, and the student who appeared to be engaged was frustrated by the content and was disengaged.  I think this surprised me the most of all.

As a result, I will be sure to seek out opportunities to get to know my students better while at Penns Manor. It's really important that I know when a student is engaged or disengaged in the lesson.  This will help me to effectively evaluate my teaching skills.

For a highlight of my experience, please watch this video.


No comments:

Post a Comment