Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Wintery Convention- The Mark of a New Beginning

  Freezing air shows my breath in the early morning.  It's still dark while I carefully step outside down an unfamiliar sidewalk.  There was a chance of school cancellations, but after watching the local news for the last 15 minutes, I discovered, that fate was not to be mine.  It's 4:45 in the morning.  Bags packed, dressed in layers, water bottle in hand, groggy eyes from a short night and ready to go, I climb into the truck and head out to Penns Manor. Today, is the first day of my student teaching internship.

At 5:45, reality sinks in as student after student climbs on to the school bus, destined for Harrisburg, PA.  It's here.  It's really truly here!! I'm with 30 students, 3 adult chaperons, the bus driver, my cooperative teacher, and more luggage than you could imagine.  The bus is a whirlwind of activity as students claim their right to the chosen seat. Mr. Hughes calls attendance, luggage flies through the air, face painting threats are made, by way of lipstick, for sleepers, and the bus is revved up to prepare for the four hour drive.  I, Kate Bassett, am a student teacher and this group of people, are to be my life for the next seven weeks!

Penns Manor attended the FFA Midwinter Convention at the Farm Show in Harrisburg on Monday.  It was a great chance to get to know a few more students a little more closely.  It was also exciting to see three of my new students receive their Keystone Degrees.  Probably even more exciting for me, was seeing two Life Skills student's eyes light up at all the sights to be seen.  I really enjoyed seeing my student's excitement for all of the agriculture around them.

                                 


What was very unique was the opportunity my students had to stay overnight near Harrisburg then travel to Gettysburg this morning.  Two days of awesome educational experiences!!!

We had a tour guide who joined our bus as we drove all over the battle field.  He was really good at integrating agricultural information to his explanation of the battle, making it relevant for the students on the trip.  

Inside the visitor center we had the chance to watch a short film on the Gettysburg battle.  There was also a mural painted on a 360 degree wall that depicted Pickett's charge. 

 It was really neat.  The students absolutely loved it.

I really appreciated how the trip took advantage of the opportunities along the way and included the stop at Gettysburg.

Overall, I'm looking forward to continued experiences with Penns Manor and its agricultural students as I begin to teach classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment