Sunday, September 28, 2014

Effective Questions and Languaging in Instruction.

What is a Proper Question to Ask?

Sometimes the hardest part about a day is asking and answering questions.  As a professional educator, I want my students to learn critical thinking skills so they can become problem solvers.  In order to do this, I need to make sure that my students are reaching the higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy.

For myself, this is a weak point in my teaching skills.  I need to practice developing questions that require a student to think before they answer.  I am really good at asking recall questions, but they are only appropriate for specific results. 

In regards to answering student's questions,  I tend to think that I need to have all the answers.  In reality, however, students are very bright and can find the answers themselves or answer a peer's question.  This reaches a much greater level of student development.

A great opportunity for students to develop questions is field trips.  If managed properly, this can be a great way to give students a close and personal perspective of the content being taught.  However, it is crucial that proper planning is placed before and during the execution of a field trip.  

These planning phases include Pre-Trip, Trip, and Post Trip planning.   

Here is an article on American Public Education under utilizing local resources for valuable field trip planning.  Think Outside the Classroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment