Thursday, October 2, 2014

Planning, Planning, Planning!!!



How can I improve my Unit Plans?

One of the most important skill as a leader in any situation is the ability to plan.  In the military, we plan for a mission, training, events.  In education, we plan curriculum, courses, and units. No matter what is being planned there are techniques that can apply to any situation.
www.jenniferbrouwerdesign.com

Technique #1: Backwards Planning. In this situation, I wrote a four week unit of instruction for a 9th grade class on international agriculture.  Knowing that I had four weeks, and knowing how much content I wanted to share, I had to make sure that I defined my end results in order to determine what information was needed to reach those goals. 


Technique #2:  The Worst Case Scenario.  I am beyond excited to take my students out to a local farm to see and learn about an applied biodigestor.  The worse case scenario; it's going to be in January and far too cold to take students out.  For this reason, I have a "plan B" to make sure I had a way to fill in that lesson.

Technique #3:  Include Everything. The more specific the unit plan can get, the smoother it will run.  For example, list the exact number of copies needed for a worksheet.  This helps define every little detail and strikes out any chance for it to go wrong.



www.webreference.com
Technique #4: KISS (Keep It Simple ...Silly!).  When there are too many moving parts, there is more room for something to go amiss.  I realized I had way too many standards listed in my draft versions of my lesson plan.  I was trying to include far too much content in the limiting four weeks for instruction.  There was just so much that related to it.  Plus I got way to excited to teach it!!  I really had to narrow it down.


Technique #5:  Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better! Sometimes it is ok to provide opportunities for your subordinates to outdo you.  In my case, technology is NOT my friend.  But I know that some students really excel at it.  So, to make it interesting, and to see what my students can do, I included the opportunity for students to be creative in the use of technology to create a portfolio. This is how I develop them to be leaders.  By allowing them to show their talents and perfect them.

utah.agclassroom.org
International Agriculture is more thank likely my most passionate topic.  And I am beyond ecstatic to share this Unit plan with the students at Penns Manor, my cooperative center.  It took me a lot of time to fix up my Unit plan.  I think the biggest lesson I learned, was to avoid being overambitious and to think about what I can realistically accomplish.  



No comments:

Post a Comment