Friday, October 24, 2014

Implementing Case Studies for Problem Solving in Ag Education

Problem Solving Approach 

As American youth, students in the agricultural department will be instrumental in solving world problems.  Many nations rely on the United States to resolve world issues such as hunger, spread of ebola, and global warming.Therefore, as an agricultural educator, it is my responsibility to develop students who are critical thinkers and problem solvers.  In order to accomplish this, I can use the problem solving approach to help develop students who can make great contributions to society.

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to put the problem solving approach into practice.  While I still think my lesson plan was still pretty good, I have lots of room or improvement.  First off, I need to figure out how to construct my case study so that it directs the students in identifying the problem.  This time around, I basically told them what the problem was.

Additionally, I should keep in mind that it's a really good idea to have students who are being disruptive busy by assigning them in charge of keeping notes on the board, changing power point slides for me etc.  I missed the perfect opportunity to demonstrate this concept during my teaching lab.  

Overall, I believe that my lesson plans are getting significantly better.  I don't sound as shaky and uncomfortable either.  So I can see an improvement in the performance.  But no worries, there is still lots of work to do!

5 comments:

  1. I think you are definitely improving Kate! You had a really great idea behind your lab. I do agree that there is a better way to have your students come up with the problem. I find doing that hard too. Maybe trying to really focus your questions may help. Then you can help push them towards defining the problem by themselves. Also I think you did a good job handling the distractions in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    It is always good to see yourself making improvements. As far as classroom management I like your idea on making those disruptive students be your scribe to say. PSA is a hard concept to grasp but I think when you get the hang of it, it will become first nature. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reflection, Kate! I am glad that you have seen improvements in your lesson plans and in your teaching. I also had trouble getting my students to come to the conclusions that I wanted them to... I think that this is where questioning come into play (which is something that I still need to work on!). Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I really enjoyed reading this blog. I think it is great that you tied in global crisis into reasoning for developing problem solving skills in our teaching! And don't worry about the "should have done's", just try and remember them for next time! We are all trying out new things and forget things that we should have tried! It will come with practice! :) Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate - This is pretty spectacular and spot on! I think that it is important to be able to identify and notice improvement and I am glad that you are. Additionally while I read this blog you taught me something - to use the disruptive students to do the class jobs. That is pretty cool. You are doing stellar!

    ReplyDelete