Friday, September 26, 2014

Interest Approaches

How Can I Capture Student Interest?

On Wednesday I had the opportunity to create and demonstrate an interest approach.  Personally I believe there was some improvement in my performance from last week's AEE 412 lab. Which, in the big picture, is the goal of these practice labs.

 I appeared, and felt, more calm and relaxed.  This showed through my ability to provide clear instructions.  If you read through my blog from last week, you'll notice I struggled with repeating myself, saying specific words over again, being clear in my expectations and talking too fast.  Since I felt more at ease, most of those issues were not a problem.

What I do need to work on, is being creative.  I struggle with it and it certainly doesn't come to me very easily.  This I just need to practice.  I have noticed, as I continue to write lesson plans, ideas pop into my head quicker than they had when I wrote my first lesson plan.  Which means, I just need to keep practicing.  

I know for a fact that having really engaging interest approaches are going to be critical during my student teaching experience.  Especially while I am in Belize at Mopan Technical School.  Students there do not pay attention, they are very rarely engaged in the class instruction, and chitter chatter most of the time.  I struggled with getting student involvement and participation while I was teaching a lesson on Caribbean Livestock.  I believe the students can greatly benefit from successful hooks in the beginning of class. 




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,

    Yay for improvement! It is always gratifying when you can notice yourself improving - especially since that is one of the core goals for this lab. In terms of being creative I suggest that you read through and reflect on lessons that are written at the national level and see how other teachers are able to "hook" their students. Another idea is to utilize childrens books they are always bright and colorful and fun and certainly have good ideas in them. I hope this helps! Keep on keepin on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my biggest faults were filler words, too, as well as appearing relaxed in front of the classroom. I am glad that you have seen some improvement in your performance! I am sure that as we practice, we will continue to see these improvements even more!

    This week, especially, I had a very hard time coming up with creative ideas as well. One suggestion that Jasmine provided me with when I told her that I was struggling was checking out the textbook that was required in 412, as well as Teach Like a Pirate. Teach Like a Pirate had some great ideas for hooks. If you didn't read this, I would be happy to loan it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,

    First of all, how awesome that you are taking agriculture to other parts of the world! I am glad that you recognize their specific educational needs and how you will provide that during your experience there. I enjoyed reading your reflection because I also struggle with similar things. I often talk way too fast! However, the important thing is that you are improving and it is evident that you are! I think the ThereNow videos really help us to see these improvements and hopefully that motivates us to do even better in our next lab! Keep up the good work Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kate,
    We really do get better with each lab and I think that's why labs are so important because we keep getting better after each one. One great way to help with creativity is Pintrest! I am in charge of the account for Teach Ag! and there are some amazing ideas for creative lesson plans and activities http://www.pinterest.com/psuteachag/
    You are right about the hook and getting attention of the students.
    Keep up the good work Kate after this semester we will all be amazing Ag teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    Belize sounds like it is a welcomed challenge to you and that is terrific! Even though you say you struggle with creativity don't forget all of the wonderful resources we have been provided with!!! Not only do we have the 4 different sites that have numerous lesson plans, activities, tests and videos but there is Pintrest!!! Teach Ag and Penn State Ag have boards on there just for Ag teacher ideas. I have found so many great ideas on there and I am sure you will too!
    Keep improving :)

    ReplyDelete