Friday, March 20, 2015

Student Teaching Week 10

So Much Excitement!

This week was really exciting with lots of exciting events occurring.  Not only were my classes enjoyable but there was the highlight of the week; open day.  

What has already happened?
In my classes this week we discussed, embryo development within an egg, asexual and sexual reproduction, types of soils, and sheep breeds.  I'm really excited to see my sheep breeds lesson successfully turn into a more inquiry based lesson.  I had the students look at the sheep here at the school and determine what breed they were on their own.  It worked really well.  The students were able to learn a lot.

I realize though, that I really do need to change my questioning.  My style of questioning worked really well at Penns Manor.  However, it's not here.  Students here aren't used to responding but rather being lectured at.  So when they answer questions, it's because I utilize close proximity and they practically whisper the answer to me in a very non-confident manner. So after discussing a few options with Dr. Penados (my Belizean University Supervisor) I've come up with a few techniques that will help.  

They are all methods I've seen before but they were all ideas.  To share one example, I attempted a think-pair-share activity that was related to the class material.  I was hoping to get answers we could then discuss.  The problem was my question I had posed was closed to right and wrong answers.  So next time I attempt a think-pair-share activity, I will keep the question more open-ended where it will be hard to have a right or wrong answer.  When the students are sharing with the whole class, I will write all of the answers, right or wrong, on the board and collectively go through the answers.  Again, I feel like smacking myself on the forehead because I know this technique is better, it's just that it finally clicked.  

Open Day

This was such a cool event.  The whole day today, the school was open to the community.  The various classes prepared displays that they have been working on for months! to show prospective students what Mopan Technical is all about.  Words can't explain how amazing the displays were so I'll provide some pictures. 



                                           





What's in it for next week?

Next week I will continue to work on improving my instruction. It will be a short week in regards to teaching.  Monday is PSE (Primary School Examinations) day and Mopan Technical has been chosen to host the exam.  I will be an "invigilate", as they call them here.  Tuesday and Wednesday are regular school days.  And then Thursday and Friday are teacher workshops to gain credit hours for the teachers to maintain their teaching licenses.  

What I am most excited for is construction on the biodigestor which officially begins on Thursday of next week.  I'm looking forward to learning about construction and working with my students on the project.  It will be encouraging to see the fruits of my efforts to raise money for Mopan Technical.

Check in later to see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Some of the best growth in our teaching practice when we are able to see the application of technique and why it works! Not good enough to just read about it or hear it, we have to have context!

    Keep doing good work. Maximize instructional minutes.

    ReplyDelete